Hey 2 West!
This past Sunday I had the opportunity to hear Stan Pearson speak at the United We Stand lecture in Velzy Commons. Stan Pearson is a motivational speaker and comedian who had fun with us while sharing his tips and perspective on how people can be the best that they can be. Stan believes that people do the things that they do for one of two reasons: 1) because of the way that the feel about themselves or 2) because of the way that they think others think about them. To illustrate his point, he shared his “SALSA” 5 step method for finding success and happiness in life, and even made the presentation interactive by having everyone learn how to salsa dance! 🙂
Here is his SALSA Method:
- S=Supporting: get the support from those around you that have dreams and a drive that mathces your own. We all need relationships to celebrate our victories and overcome our hardships.
- A=Acting: Pick a goal and create an action plan to complete it. In order to be great, we need to be actively pursuing our goals every single day.
- L=Learning: Make time each day to grow and learn something new.
- S=Striving: Make an effort to do more than “just get by” in your daily life, if we are lazy the world continues to move on without us, don’t get left behind.
- A=Accepting: accepting that bad things sometimes happen and putting these bad things in the right place that will allow you to move on. It is okay to grieve, but there is a point when it is no longer helpful to dwell on the past.
Stan Pearson presentation, encouraged us to set goals, believe in ourselves and continuously work towards bettering ourselves and accomplishing our dreams. To learn more, check out his website at: Stan Pearson
The message of this talk is an important one, and I encourage you all to explore it further. Some great resources I found for advice on bettering yourself and improving your self confidence can be found here: 5 Powerful Ways to Boost your Self Confidence and 12 Tips to Improve Your Self Esteem.
Check it out! 🙂